- About The School
- Our Community
The UCSF School of Medicine strives to advance human health through a fourfold mission of education, research, patient care and public service.
Founded in 1864 as Toland Medical College, the school became part of the University of California in 1873. In 1898, the school moved to its present Parnassus Heights campus, on land donated by San Francisco mayor Adolph Sutro. The first UC hospital opened here in 1907, growing into Moffitt-Long Hospitals and Children’s Hospital. These facilities, together with Mount Zion Hospital, now comprise the UCSF Medical Center. UCSF faculty have also treated patients and trained students at San Francisco General Hospital since 1873.
Comprehensive list of UCSF achievements and milestones going back to 1914.